We were finally forced to convert our Quickbooks from our beloved Mac to a PC version and in the process the reconciling now appears to contain some error. The opening balance now differs from the reconciled ending balance of the last reconciliation. I don't see any transactions that can be the cause. The discrepancy report lists no transactions. There are no uncleared transactions that account for the discrepancy. The help pages mention that a discrepancy can be caused by converting from another version of Quickbooks but gives no additional insight into fixing the problem. Am I just forced to undo every reconciliation until the discrepancy goes away? Our quickbooks file is 13 years old! Thank you!
Thank you for posting in the Community, @hth-alex.
I want to help get this reconciliation discrepancy sorted out for you.
Before the conversion process, did you run a verify and rebuild on your company file? To ensure you don't lose any data when converting, you'll need to get your company file ready before restoring it in Windows.
This means you'll have to use the verify and rebuild tool to fix any discrepancies on reports and run a well-data checkup to make sure your company file is error-free. Also, you'll have to re-sort your list to fix any damages on your chart of accounts.
For the detailed steps, please refer to this article link: Convert a QuickBooks for Mac file to QuickBooks for Windows.
Once done, you can now restore the file in QuickBooks for Windows.
You may also check the following helpful articles on this link just in case you may need to fix other errors when using QuickBooks Desktop: Getting started for QuickBooks Desktop.
Let me know how it goes. I'll be on the lookout for your reply and help you further if needed. Have a good one.
For your case, I would recommend these following steps:
1. Run the verify and rebuild on your old QuickBooks for Mac verion
2. Convert the file to Mac 2019 (using trial license)
3. Run the verify and rebuild again on Mac 2019
4. Migrate the file to Pro 2019
Thanks for taking time to read and reply. It turns out my bookkeeper found some discrepancies that appeared during the conversion process. Once we cleared those the balances are now back to normal. I'm relieved that we didn't have to reconvert the file as that wasn't an option anymore. We spent a month inputting transactions before realizing there was an issue. Quickbooks should have protections in place to prevent users from making this kind of mistake in the first place. Thanks!
Hello again, @hth-alex.
It's nice to hear that your bookkeeper was able to locate the discrepancies and that the balances are returned to normal.
I wanted to let you know that I've submitted feedback for converting QuickBooks files based on this interaction. Feedback is submitted to the Development team for consideration when developing new features.
Should you need any additional assistance with your file, please don't hesitate to let me know. Have a wonderful day.