Learn how to turn on and use account numbers for your chart of accounts in QuickBooks Online.
As your business grows, so does the list of accounts you use to categorize finances. If you have an extensive chart of accounts, don't worry. You can keep your accounts organized and easy to find by assigning numbers. We’ll show you how.
Step 1: Turn on account numbers
The account numbers feature is off by default. Here’s how to turn it on.
- Go to Settings ⚙ and select Account and Settings.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Select Edit ✎ in the Chart of accounts section.
- Select Enable account numbers. If you want account numbers to show on reports and transactions, select Show account numbers.
- Select Save and then Done.
Step 2: Assign account numbers
- Go to the Accounting menu and select Chart of Accounts.
- Select Batch edit in the Action column.
- Add account numbers in the Number column.
- Once you’re done, select Save.
To see your accounts’ numbers, go to the Chart of Accounts. Select the Gear icon at the top of the list (not on the navigation bar) in the Action column. Then, select Number.
Now you can spend less time looking for specific accounts in Chart of Accounts or when adding transactions. Quickly find accounts using the numbers you assigned to them.
Learn more ways to organize your accounts
Here are more ways to keep your chart of accounts organized: