Learn the differences between QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Online Accountant.
When trying to decide whether QuickBooks Online (simple start, essentials, or plus) or QuickBooks Online Accountant makes more sense for your business its best to do a comparison. Use the chart below to do a side-by-side comparison.
QuickBooks Online vs. QuickBooks Online Accountant
|Track your income and expenses||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Download transactions from your bank and credit card accounts1||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Back up your data online automatically2||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Same security and encryption as banks3||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Access your data from a tablet or smartphone4||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Send unlimited estimates and invoices||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Print checks and record transactions||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Import data from Excel5 or QuickBooks desktop6||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Invite up to two accountants to access your data7||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Integrate with available applications8||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Set up invoices to automatically bill on a recurring schedule||✓||✓||✓|
|Manage and pay bills from vendors||✓||✓||✓|
|Enter bills and schedule payments for later||✓||✓||✓|
|Control what your users can access||✓||✓||✓|
|Create and send purchase orders||✓||✓|
|Prepare and print 1099s||✓||✓|
|Give employees and subcontractors limited access to enter time worked||✓||✓|
|Track billable hours by customer||✓||✓|
|Create budgets to estimate future income and expenses||✓||✓|
|Categorize your income and expenses using class tracking||✓||✓|
|Track sales and profitability for each of your locations||✓||✓|
|Client Manager to organize and allow access to Multiple QBO companies||✓|
|Accountant Center to access clean-up and reporting tools||✓|
|Undo previous reconciliation tool for correcting cleared balances||✓|
|Write off customer balances in batches||✓|
|Reclassify transactions in batches||✓|
|Integration with ProConnect Tax Online||✓|
|Number of people who can access QuickBooks Online||1||3||5||Unlimited|
|Number of built-in business reports||20+||40+||65+||70+|
|Pay employees and file payroll taxes||w/ Payroll service|
|Receive ACH and Credit Card Payments||Set up Payments inside your QuickBooks account; per transaction fees apply.|
Terms and conditions
- Online services vary by participating financial institutions or other parties and may be subject to application approval, additional terms, conditions, and fees.
- Data access is subject to Internet or cellular provider network availability and occasional downtime due to events beyond our control.
- 128-bit Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is the same encryption technology used by some of the world's top banking institutions to secure data that is sent over the Internet.
- QuickBooks Online requires a computer with a supported Internet browser (see System Requirements for a list of supported browsers) and an Internet connection (a high-speed connection is recommended).
- The QuickBooks Online mobile and QuickBooks Self-Employed mobile companion apps work with iPhone, iPad, and Android phones and tablets. Devices sold separately; data plan required.
- Not all features are available on the mobile apps and mobile browser. QuickBooks Online mobile access is included with your QuickBooks Online subscription at no additional cost. Data access is subject to cellular/internet provider network availability and occasional downtime due to system and server maintenance and events beyond your control. Product registration required.
- Microsoft Word and Excel integration requires Word and Excel 2003, 2007 or 2010.
- Data can be imported to QuickBooks Online Simple Start, Essentials, or Plus from the following QuickBooks desktop versions: Pro 2008 or later, Premier 2008 or later, Mac 2013 or later. Earlier versions: Basic 99-2005, Simple Start Edition, Pro & Premier 99-2007 can be imported using a downloadable tool. Import from QuickBooks desktop must be completed within the first 60 days of setting up your new QuickBooks Online account.
- Invite up to two accounting professionals, such as your accountant or bookkeeper, to access your data. Once they accept your invitation they will automatically get signed up for QuickBooks Online Accountant, allowing them to access your data.
- Each application may have its own terms and fees.