Let me help you add a line item for the past due balance of a customer on the invoice, JM1117.
You can create a custom field for the outstanding balance of a customer. Here are the steps you can follow.
- Select the Customer menus, then Customer Center.
- Double-click any profile on the list to open and edit it.
- Select the Additional Info tab. Then select Define Fields.
- Name your custom field in the Label column.
- In the Use for column, mark the checkbox to add the custom name field to the customer.
- Click OK to save the custom field.
Once done, go back to the invoice and enter the amount due in the newly added custom field. You can browse this link for additional information about this: Create and use custom fields in QuickBooks Desktop.
Aside from adding a line item for the past due balance, you can run the Accounts Receivable (A/R Ageing report. It shows an overview of your customers' outstanding balances
- Click on Reports from the main QuickBooks menu to access the Reports drop-down list.
- Select Customers & Receivables from the list, then A/R Aging Detail.
- It shows you all outstanding invoices and sorts them by the due date.
QuickBooks Desktop provides different reports that cater to your business needs. Here's an article to see available reports: Understand reports.
Get back to me by commenting below if there are other things you need help with. I'm always around to help you by adding a line item for the past due balance.