When preparing to send payroll data, or reviewing paychecks in your register, you might notice there are more paychecks showing than you intended to create. You can find and delete duplicate checks in QuickBooks Desktop Payroll.
For additional information regarding deleting paychecks, use Edit or Delete Payroll Checks (Paychecks and Liability Checks)
To find and remove duplicate paychecks:
- Select Employees > Send Payroll Data.
- In the Send/Receive Payroll Data window, select View to view the paychecks you have created.
- Verify all the paychecks dates under the Payroll Run Summary for MM/DD/YYYY. .
- Each check is listed individually. Take note of any duplicate transactions. Once verified, Select Close
- From the QuickBooks menu, select Employees > Edit/Void Paychecks.
- Enter a date range that includes the payroll with the duplicate paychecks.
- Double-click a duplicated paycheck to open an image of the paycheck.
- From the QuickBooks Desktop menu, select Edit and select Delete Paycheck.
- Select Yes when the warning message appears. This will take you to the next check on the list. You can select Save and Close to return to the list of Edit/Void Paychecks.
- If there are more duplicate checks you want to delete, return to step 8 as many times as necessary.
- When you are finished deleting duplicate checks, select Done in the Edit/Void Paychecks window.
- Go to the Send Payroll Data window and verify the number of paychecks before you send the payroll.
QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted: Verify that the duplicate checks you are seeing have not been sent to the Payroll Service. Paychecks that have been sent to the Payroll Service will have Green Lighting Bolts on them. QuickBooks Desktop will not allow you to delete paychecks that have been sent to the Payroll Service. Payroll that has been sent will also have a record of Liability Check in your bank register for the payroll debit. If unsure, contact QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted Payroll.