Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

correcting w2

how do you go back and correct a w2 for an employee that had social and med wages reported in error. Social and med was actually withheld from wages in error. The employee will have to be refunded. How do I correct all this. It is for a household employer.
QuickBooks Team

correcting w2

Welcome to the Community, @twilson. I'm here to provide clarification on correcting a W-2.


So that I'm able to provide you with the best information, could you please let me know what version of QuickBooks and Payroll that you're using? For example, it would be helpful to know if you're using QuickBooks Online Enhanced Payroll.  


I'll be waiting on standby for your response and look forward to helping you further. Wishing you well. 

Level 1

correcting w2

QB Pro 2020

QuickBooks Team
QuickBooks Team

correcting w2

Thanks for coming back, buc72.


If you find a mistake before you file your W-2s, we'll need to do payroll adjustment in the employee's wages in QuickBooks. First, we need to record an overpayment for your employee.  When payroll liabilities are overpaid, the liability balance becomes negative. To refund the employee for the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld, just follow the steps and details in the Refund an employee for a deduction that was overwithheld article. 


We can also use a liability adjustment to correct employees’ year-to-date (YTD) or quarter-to-date (QTD) payroll info. This includes company contributions, employee additions, and deductions. See the Adjust payroll liabilities in QuickBooks Desktop article. If everything is already correct, you can file your W-2 forms as you normally would.


If you or your employee finds the mistake after you file your W-2s, we can create your W-2c and W-3c in QuickBooks and print them on perforated paper only (not pre-printed). You’ll need to file the W-2c and W-3c manually with the Social Security Administration. For more details about processing corrected W-2c/W-3c forms, check out these articles:

If you need further assistance, I'd suggest contacting our Technical Support Team. They'll pull up your account in a secure environment and investigate what's causing this issue. To ensure we address your concern, our representatives are available from 6:00 AM to 6:00 PM on weekdays and 6:00 AM - 3:00 PM on Saturdays, PST. See our support hours and types for more details about this one. 


Visit our Tax forms page for more insight s about adding and managing your tax forms.


I'd like to know how things going after contacting our support agent, as I want to ensure this is resolved for you. Feel free to reply to this post and I'll get back to you. Take care always.

Level 1

correcting w2

I am using Intuit's Online Payroll.   My problem is that one of our employees moved during the year, but I forgot to update her new address in the payroll system.   Last year this happened to another employee and it took a very long time to get her tax refund.  Coryn Hall really needs to get her refund timely.  I've looked into filing a W-2C, but I was wondering if there's a way do to that through Intuit.  Please advise.  


correcting w2

Welcome to the thread, 600SCap1. Thanks for providing detailed information about your concern. 


When filing W-2C, some things, cannot be corrected, and these are the following:

  • Employee address
  • Employer address
  • Employee prefix (examples: Dr, Mrs, Atty)

In your case, to fix your records, you'll need to amend outside the system to correct the information. See the  General Instructions for Forms W-2c and W-3c section in General Instructions for Forms W-2 and W-3.


Here are also some articles that you can read for guidance:

If you have any more questions about the correcting W-2, feel free to reach back out. I'll be around to help. Have a good day!

Sign in for the best experience
Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.
Sign In / Sign Up

Need to get in touch?

Contact us