Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

How do I change an employees federal payroll deduction?

1 Comment 1
QuickBooks Team

How do I change an employees federal payroll deduction?

Hello, actionlifts.


There are two ways to change an employee's federal payroll deduction. You can do it before submitting payroll and after creating the paycheck. I'll show you the step-by-step process. 


Before submitting payroll: 


  1. Click the Run payroll button in the Employees page.
  2. Enter the number of hours the employee has worked.
  3. Click the Pencil icon beside Total pay.
  4. Expand the Employee taxes section.
  5. Change the Federal Income Tax amount.
  6. Once done, click OK.





Proceed with the payroll as you normally would. 


After running payroll:


  1. Go to the Employees page, then click the Paycheck list link.
  2. Select the paycheck you want to edit.
  3. Under the Employee taxes section, change the Federal Income Tax amount.
  4. Click OK




Need further help setting up or editing your payroll settings or your employee's information? Visit this article for guides and references: Get started with Payroll.


If you need assistance checking out your employee's year-to-date payroll taxes, you can run the payroll reports. Please visit this article for the complete guide: Run payroll reports.


Happy to offer assistance again if you have other concerns regarding the payroll feature or QuickBooks Online. 

Sign in for the best experience
Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.
Sign In / Sign Up

Need to get in touch?

Contact us