cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 1

My landlord owns 78% of the building to whom I pay rent. I received a W-9 from him, but not the other owner of 22%. How do I issue 1099's? Thanks!

 
1 Comment
Level 12

Re: My landlord owns 78% of the building to whom I pay rent. I received a W-9 from him, but not the other owner of 22%. How do I issue 1099's? Thanks!

Since it is a violation to submit a 1099 to the IRS without a EIN, SSN, or TIN you create the two 1099's and send to the recipients but only submit the one you have a number for to the IRS. Once you have the number you then send it in.

 

One surefire and legal way to get the number is to withhold 24% of the monthly rent as required under terms of the Backup Withholding program https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/backup-withholding

Need to get in touch?

Contact us