Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable


I have an employee that is paid once a month.  He was not paid for the period of12/13/2018 through 1/12/2019 and now needs to be paid.  Can I just simply cut him a paycheck for that period even though the taxes(941 payroll tax) have been paid.  Please advise as to the best way to do this.

Established Community Backer ***

Re: payroll

When discovering a missing paycheck, the best thing to do is create a new paycheck dated today.


Don't pre or post date it as that will run amok of various payroll laws/rules.

QuickBooks Team

Re: payroll

Hi, @Lisa2019.


I'm glad you've reached out to us. Let me help provide some insights about creating paycheck for employee. 


To answer your questions, yes. You can re-issue a new check using the Unscheduled Payroll to pay your employee for the current pay period. 


Here's how:

  1. At the top menu bar, click Employee.
  2. Select the Payroll Center.
  3. In the Pay Employees screen, click Start Unscheduled payroll.
  4. Make sure the Pay Period Ends is correct and select an employee.
  5. Click Open Paycheck Details.
  6. Provide the necessary information. 
  7. Click Save & Close.  

For additional reference, you can check this article: Create paychecks.


If you need further assistance with the steps, you can contact our QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Support. They have additional tools to do a remote session and walk you through the process.


Here's how you can contact our phone support:

  1. Click this link:
  2. Select your payroll subscription.
  3. Choose Payroll for the topic.
  4. Click View Contact Info to get the phone number.

That should do it! Please know that I'm just a post away if you have any other questions about creating paychecks. Wishing you and your business continued success. 

Need to get in touch?

Contact us