Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2
To help with cash flow at this time we've asked one employee to take a 30% reduced salary, and another employee is taking leave without pay (both at this stage for the month of April, will review next month). For the reduced salary, can I just adjust the rate of pay? How do I record leave without pay? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Best answer April 05, 2020

Best Answers
Level 2

Thanks so much Kass, all sorted.

View solution in original post

Kass_B - Product Champion
Content Creator

Hi SVD2,


To record the reduced salary, you can either a) manually adjust the rate of pay or b) create a new pay category to record this under in case you need to differentiate them in the future. To create a new pay category:

  1. Select the Employees tab
  2. Select Payroll Settings, then Pay Categories
  3. Select Add, and create your new category to your specification, then Save. When paying the employee in a payrun, you can then select this pay category from the dropdown menu and enter the adjusted rate.


This article will take you through detailed steps on managing and recording Leave without Pay. Once you have created the category, you can note the leave taken in the payrun by selecting the employee's name, Actions and Take Leave, then select the category. If you have further questions, please feel free to reply to me or contact our Support Team:


  1.  In your QuickBooks Online, click the Help menu in the upper-right corner.
  2.  Select Contact us and enter the details of your concern.
  3.  Click Let's talk and choose Chat or Get a callback.
  4. Enter the required information.



Level 2

Thanks so much Kass, all sorted.

View solution in original post

Sign in for the best experience
Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.
Sign In / Sign Up

Need to get in touch?

Contact us