Learn how to void or refund payments you process through QuickBooks Online.
If you have QuickBooks Payments, you can take and process customer credit card payments in QuickBooks Online. Sometimes you may need to void or refund payments. Here's how to void or refund a payment transaction in QuickBooks Online so everything is processed and your accounting stays accurate. We'll also show you how to give partial refunds.
When you can void or refund a transaction
- Payment transactions batch at 3:00 PM PT every business day. If the payment transaction hasn’t batched, you can void the transaction. Learn more about processing times here. If you are able to void the transaction prior to the payment processing, you will avoid a fee.
- If the payment transaction has already batched, you will need to give your customer a refund. You can refund the whole amount or refund specific products, services or fees. Also, keep in mind there are fees for refunding payment transactions. Learn more about fees for refunded transactions. Note: If you are signed up for Instant Funding and apply it to a transaction, the payment is automatically considered batched.
Void a sales receipt paid by credit card
- Go to Bookkeeping then Transactions then select All Sales (Take me there), or go to Sales then select All Sales (Take me there).
- Go to the sales receipt you want to void the payment for, then select ▼ dropdown in Action column.
- Select Void.
- Select Yes on message pop-up.
- The transaction is successfully voided, you can see the Status as Voided.
You can print a voided sales receipt by selecting Print.
Void an invoice paid by credit card
- Go to Get paid & pay or Sales, then select Invoices (Take me there).
- Select the invoice you want to void the payment for.
- Select Void option from the ▼ dropdown in Action column.
- Select Yes.
- The transaction is successfully voided, you can the Status as Voided.
You can print a voided invoice by selecting Print.
Did you know you can also void customer payments in the QuickBooks GoPayment mobile app? Learn more about how to void customer payment transactions in GoPayment.
Refund a customer payment
There are a few ways to give refunds in QuickBooks Online. Follow the steps based on how you processed the transaction.
|Refunding credit card payments |
Credit cards refunds have a few requirements:
- Select + New.
- Select Refund receipt.
- Select the customer you want to refund from the Customer ▼ dropdown.
- Enter the details in the fields using the same info from the original sale. To credit back their credit card, in Payment method, select Credit card. To credit back their bank account, in Payment method, select Direct Debit.
- In Refund From, select the account you wish to refund the customer from.
- Select Save and close.
Refund a credit card payment for a sales receipt, paid invoice, or receive payment form
You can refund a customer who paid you with a credit card right from the sales receipt, invoice, or associated payment. Here’s how:
- Go to Bookkeeping then Transactions then All Sales (Take me there), or go to Sales then select All Sales (Take me there).
- Find and select the sales receipt, invoice, or payment.
- In the footer, select More, then Refund.
- A refund receipt opens with all of the information from the customer form automatically filled in, such as payment method, the refunding account, and customer details. Verify that everything looks correct.
- Optionally, you can give a partial refund. Just adjust the items or amount you want to refund.
- Select Save and close.
You can now send or print the refund receipt.