Learn how to set up multiple users with access to your Point of Sale company file.
In a Multi User Mode setup, there is a server and a client workstation.
The server is ideally the fastest workstation (computer) on your network with Point of Sale installed. It holds the company file and allows multi user access for up to 19 client workstations. Only the server can do the following:
- Create and hold your Point of Sale company file.
- Back up, restore, and rename the company file.
- Exchange information with QuickBooks Desktop.
- Import data through the Data Import Tool.
- Set item and customer ranking preferences.
- (Multi Store) Exchange information with other stores.
The client workstation is any computer on your network with a Point of Sale installed that is not a server. It is usually the cash register that records daily transactions.
Set up Multi User Mode in Point of Sale
Step 1: Set up folder permissions
- On your server workstation, use Windows File Explorer to locate your company file folder. Note: The default location for your company file is C:Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of SaleXX\Data.
- Right-click your company file folder and select Properties.
- Select the Sharing tab.
- Select Advanced Sharing, then select Share this folder.
- Select Permissions, then Add.
- Enter “QBPOSdbsrvuser” then select OK.
- Select QBPOSdbsrvuser, then Full Control. Note: Make sure the permission of Everyone and Services user group are set to Full Control.
- Select Apply, then OK.
Step 2: Configure the Windows firewall
Follow the steps in this support article to configure the Windows firewall.
Step 3: Switch the server to Multi User Mode
From the File menu, select Switch Company File to Multi User Mode.
Step 4: (Optional) Configure the Workstation number
- From the File menu, select Preferences, then Workstation.
- Select General, then enter the workstation number in the Please enter the number for this workstation field.
- Select Save.