Learn how to fix incorrectly recorded sales tax in QuickBooks Desktop Accountant and Enterprise.
This tool identifies payments that appear to be sales tax payments but weren't recorded with the pay sales tax function. This happens when a client uses a regular check to pay sales tax. You can change all or some of the payments to sales tax check at once.
After the list appears, you can
- Double-click on any transaction to see the check.
- Select a transaction by selecting the checkbox of the transaction line.
- Select all transactions by selecting the Select All button.
- Uncheck all selected transactions by selecting the Deselect All button.
When done selecting transactions, select Void & Replace to void the check and create a sales tax check.
Internally, the following happens:
- The regular check is voided, then replaced by a Sales Tax Payable check.
- The new Sales Tax Payable check retains the reconciliation status of the regular check, the check number, the date, and the amount.
- A memo is entered in both checks.
If you want to make a manual sales tax adjustment, the link Sales Tax Adjustment opens the Sales Tax Adjustment window directly.