Learn how to remove the payroll service key in QuickBooks Desktop.
To remove the payroll subscription from a company file, you need to remove the service key from the company file. This process will turn off the features of the payroll subscription, but doesn't cancel the payroll subscription.
We explain who should and shouldn't try to remove the service key. And how to do it.
Do not use the following steps if you have:
- Direct Deposit,
- QuickBooks Workforce,
- Workers' Comp,
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted service
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Basic/Enhanced with employee fee, do not perform this procedure. Contact us for support: You will not be able to use the add-on services or transmit payroll data.
If you don't fall into the above list, try the following steps.
- Back up the QuickBooks company file.
- From the QuickBooks Employees menu, select My Payroll Service and select Manage Service Key.
- In the QuickBooks Service Keys window, go to the Service Name column and select to highlight the payroll subscription.
- Select Remove or press Alt + 0 (zero) on your keyboard.
- Select Yes to confirm that your are removing the service key.