Learn how to do a clean install of QuickBooks Desktop so Windows can fix company file issues.
A clean install won’t affect your data at all.
Step 1: Gather your QuickBooks product info
- Download the installer for your version of QuickBooks.
- Have your license number handy. It should be on the original package or in the purchase confirmation email if you bought a digital version.
- Write down your product year and version.
Note: You can get this info from your account management portal.
Solution 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
If you run into issues when you uninstall QuickBooks, there might be something going on with your computer. You should contact an IT professional or Microsoft for help.
Step 1: Remove QuickBooks
- Open the Windows Start menu. Search for “Control Panel”, then open Control Panel.
- Select Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
- From the list of programs, select your version of QuickBooks Desktop you want to uninstall.
- Select Uninstall/Change and then Remove. Select Next. If you don’t see this option, sign out and sign back in to Windows as an admin (or a user with admin rights).
Step 2: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
When you’re done, reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
If this didn't fix your issue, move to Solution 2.