Find out how to fix the issue causing the connection wizard to display in QuickBooks Point of Sale.
When starting QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale , the database connection wizard pops up, but following it won’t open the company file. This issue may occur if:
- Network settings aren’t properly configured.
- The regional setting in Windows is not correct.
- The firewall is blocking access to the company file.
- QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale is not installed correctly.
|Tip: Check for any loose network cable, then close all programs. Turn off your computer for about 15 seconds, then turn it back on.|
If the issue still persists, perform the following solutions.
Solution 1: Configure the server database manager
- Go to the server and close QuickBooks Point of Sale if it’s running.
- Select the Windows Start icon, then type "services.msc". Then press "Enter".
- From the list of services, double-click on the version of the QBPOS Database Manager you're using.
- On the General tab, select Automatic from the Startup type ▼ drop-down menu.
- Go to Log On tab, then select Local System Account and Allow service to interact with desktop.
- Select Apply, then return to the General tab.
- Select Stop, wait for the Database Manager to stop.
- Select Start, wait for the Database Manager to start, then OK.
- Reopen QuickBooks Point of Sale on both server and workstation computer.
Solution 2: Use the connectivity troubleshooting tool
- Download and use QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale Connectivity Tool.
- Check the QBPOS Install type:
- Client workstation - Reinstall QuickBooks Point of Sale as Server workstation.
- Server workstation - Proceed to Solution 3.
Solution 3: Change Windows regional settings
- Go to region and language settings.
- Select English (United States) from the Format drop-down menu.
- Select Apply, then OK.
- Reopen QuickBooks Point of Sale.
If the issue still persists, close QuickBooks Point of Sale and proceed to Solution 4.
Solution 4: Rename your company file
- Go to the Services window, then stop the QBPOS Database Manager service.
- On your keyboard select the Windows key + R.
- On the Run window enter services.msc, then select OK.
- Search for the version of your QBPOS Database Manager.
- Right-click on it, then select Stop.
- Go to C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale (version)\Data.
- Right-click on the folder that matches your company name, then select Rename.
- Add an X before the company name, then press Enter.
- Return to the Services window. Right-click on your QBPOS Database Manager, then select Start.
- Open QuickBooks Point of Sale, then open the company file you renamed.
If the file successfully opens, then you can name it back to the original company name. To do this, go to the File menu, select Company Operations, then Rename company.