Find out how to add a deposit to an invoice and have it appear in your deposit detail report.
If you require a deposit from your customer, you can add a deposit field to their invoices. Once you enter a deposit on the invoice, it’ll reduce the total amount and calculate your customer’s balance due. Make sure you enter it correctly so you can see it in the deposit detail report.
Note: Currently, we don't support deposits on estimates.
Step 1: Turn on deposits
Here's how to add a deposit field to your invoices.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Account and settings.
- Go to Sales.
- In the Sales form content section, select Edit ✎.
- Turn on Deposit.
- Select Save, then select Done.
Step 2: Add a deposit to an invoice
To see the deposits in your deposit detail report, make sure to group them with other payments to deposit.
- Go to Sales, then select Invoices (Take me there).
- Find the invoice you want to add a deposit to, then select Edit ✎.
- Enter the amount in the Deposit field.
- From the Deposit to ▼ dropdown menu, select Payments to deposit or Undeposited funds.
Note: If you select a bank account, it won’t show up on your deposit detail report. The deposit detail report only shows deposit transactions and payments deposited directly to the bank.
- Select Save and close.
Step 3: Record the deposit
To record bank deposits, follow Step 2: Combine transactions in QuickBooks with a bank deposit.
Step 4: Run the deposit detail report
- Go to Reports (Take me there).
- In the Find report by name field, enter, and select Deposit Detail.
- From the Report period ▼ dropdown menu, select the date range.
- Select Run report.
The report lists all of your recorded bank deposits. You can select individual deposits to get more details.