Learning the basics of Customer Order types and management allows you to utilize POS to the fullest. Read on further to know the different types, how to enable, and create Customer Orders in QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
Customer Order Types
- Sales Order. A Sales Order is used for your customer to reserve an inventory item that they plan to purchase in the future. Items listed in an open sales order will be deducted from your available quantity, but does not affect the actual on hand quantity.
- Work Order. This is a customer order that can be used for services and non-inventory items.
- Layaway. Layaway is a document that allows customers to pay for merchandise using a series of deposits. Items will be removed from inventory until items are sold.
|Important: Customer Orders are only available to QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale Pro and Multistore Editions.
Turn on Customer Orders
- From the File menu, go to Preferences then select Company.
- Under the General tab, check the boxes for:
- I create Customer Sales Orders
- I create Customer Layaways
- I create Customer Work Orders
- Click Save.
Create a Customer Order
- From the Point of Sale menu, select New Sales Order/Work Order/Layaway.
Note: You may also click the Customer Order icon on the home page, click on the drop-down, and select New Sales Order/Work Order/Layaway.
- Fill out the Customer name.
- Enter or scan all items editing information like quantity, price, tax code, and discounts necessarily.
- Fill out important information on available fields such as promo code, discounts, and order rates.
- You can assign a work order to an employee by clicking the drop-down on Assigned field in Work Order window.
- You can pull up Work Order Detail report and Add Assigned column to track what jobs are pending for each employee.
- Open - Ongoing Purchase Orders
- Pending- Sales Orders on hold, does not affect your available quantity
- Closed - Completed or Canceled Customer Orders
- Manually closing a customer order does NOT complete the order. This only changes the status of the order.
- Click Save and Print.