Learn how to connect an existing Payments account to QuickBooks Online so customers can pay for their invoices online.
Want to process customer payments in QuickBooks? If you sign up for QuickBooks Payments directly from QuickBooks Online, we connect your accounts automatically.
If you signed up for QuickBooks Payments in a different QuickBooks product, no problem. Here's how to manually connect your payments account so you can process payments in QuickBooks Online.
Step 1: Get ready to connect
- Refund any open transactions before you connect your accounts. You won't be able to refund transactions created before the date you connect your payments account.
- If you have recurring payments in Merchant Services, you need to delete them. Sign in to Merchant Services and disable any recurring payments before you start.
|Important note about QuickBooks GoPayment|
If you use QuickBooks GoPayments (our mobile payments app), connecting to QuickBooks Online resets your app's settings. This so removes your transaction history and receipt customizations. Don't worry, your transaction history will still be in your Merchant Service account.QuickBooks replaces the items and descriptions in the app with the ones you have in QuickBooks Online. This keeps everything consistent.If you have multiple users in GoPayments, QuickBooks may remove their IDs. Learn more about user limits in QuickBooks Online.
Step 2: Connect your Payments account to QuickBooks Online
To watch more how-to videos, visit our video section.
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online as an admin.
- Go to Settings ⚙, then select Account and settings.
- Select Payments.
- In the Existing account section, select Connect or Link Merchant Service.
- Select the QuickBooks Payment account you want to connect to. Then select Connect.
- Review the account info and make sure it's accurate. If everything looks good, select Connect.
- When the connection is finished, sign out and sign back into QuickBooks Online.
|Note: When you connect your account, QuickBooks removes the user IDs currently tied to your QuickBooks Payments account. It replaces them with your QuickBooks Online user IDs. You don't need to do anything, we take care of this for you.|
Update the payment account for apps
If you use shopping cart, webstore, or third-party processing apps with your Payments account, you'll need to reconnect them. Go to the QuickBooks App page, find the apps, and learn how to connect them to QuickBooks Online. The steps for reconnecting vary from app to app.
Step 3: Change the account QuickBooks puts money into
You can keep using the same account you've always used to deposit customer payments. If you need to, here's how to change the account.
Step 4: Turn on payment options and online invoices
Now your accounts are connected. Here's how to turn on payment options and process payments.
If you want to link a different account other than the one you currently have, you'll have to contact QuickBooks Payments.
Disclaimer: QuickBooks Payments account subject to eligibility criteria, credit and application approval. Money movement services are provided by Intuit Payments Inc., licensed as a Money Transmitter by the New York State Department of Financial Services.