Learn how to sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed to get your 1099-MISC.
Your employer or client can use their QuickBooks Online account to send you an invite to fill out your Form W-9. You can sign in from QuickBooks Self-Employed to complete the form and send it back directly. You'll also sign in to download your 1099-MISC when it's ready.
This gives you a quick and secure way to share essential tax info with your employer.
Step 1: Get the invite from your employer
Ask your employer or client to invite you to fill out your W-9. If you already have a QuickBooks Self-Employed account, ask them to send the invite to the email address you use to sign in. If you don't have an account, you can create a limited QuickBooks Self-Employed account just for your forms.
Important: It's your employer or client's responsibility to give you your 1099-MISC. If you don't want to create a QuickBooks Self-Employed account, reach out to them to get a copy.
Step 2: Fill out your W-9
- Open the invite email and select the link.
- If you already have a QuickBooks Self-Employedaccount, select Sign in. Or, follow the steps to create a limited QuickBooks Self-Employed account. This account has limited features: you can fill out your W-9, submit it, and view your 1099-MISC
- Go to the Clients tab.
- Follow the steps to fill out and submit your W-9.
Now your employer has the info they need to complete your 1099-MISC.
Step 3: Update your W-9
You only need to fill out your W-9 once. You can sign in and send your existing W-9 if you get another invite from someone else. If you need to edit your W-9, change it before your employer or client submits your 1099-MISC to the IRS:
- Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed. Use the same account you used to fill out your W-9.
- Select your profile ⚙ icon.
- Select Tax profile.
- Make changes as needed.
Tip: The info automatically updates for your employer or client in QuickBooks Online. We also recommend you tell them directly if you make any changes.
Step 4: View your 1099-MISC
After your employer or client submits your 1099-MISC to the IRS, you'll get an email when it's ready for download. Select the link in the email to sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed.
You can sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed to view or print your 1099-MISC.
- Sign in to QuickBooks Self-Employed.
- Go to the Clients menu.
- Select the Forms tab.