When attempting to open QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale on a client workstation, you see the error
Warning: 176104 QuickBooks Point of Sale is not activated on the server workstation.
This error is caused by any of the following:
- The server copy of Point of Sale has not been registered.
- The client copy of Point of Sale has been started prior to the server copy of Point of Sale having been run for the first time.
- The Intuit Entitlement Service is stopped or is not running properly.
- The Entitlement Client data files are damaged.
- A firewall blocking or restricting one or more Point of Sale files.
- Your system may be experiencing network connectivity issues.
- The Point of Sale installation is damaged.
There are several recommended solutions to this error. The first solution may solve the problem or you may need to try them all to resolve the issue. For best results, perform the solutions in the order shown.
Solution 1: Sync license
- On the server computer, go to Help > Manage My License > Sync License Data Online.
- After successfully synchronizing your license, re-open POS on your workstation.
Solution 2: Ensure Point of Sale services are running properly
- On your keyboard, press Windows+R.
- On the run box that appears, type services.msc.
- In the Services window, search for Intuit Entitlement Service vx.x. Double-click to open the service.
- If the Service Status is stopped, click Start to change the status to Started. If the Service Status is already Started, click Stop, then restart the service.
- Click OK and close the window.
- Open POS again.
Solution 3: Clear the Entitlement Client data files
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Entitlement Client\vx.x.
- Press CTRL+A to select all the files in the folder, then press Delete.
- Reopen Point of Sale, then start with the registration.
Solution 4: Configure Windows Firewall on client and server workstations
- See Point of Sale firewall configuration files, ports and paths for detailed information.
- After configuring the Windows Firewall, open Point of Sale again.