Learn how to add a vendor with a foreign currency in QuickBooks Online Essentials, Plus, and Advanced.
Does a vendor use a currency that's different from yours? If you’ve turned on multicurrency, you can add the vendor to QuickBooks and choose their currency in their profile. This lets you record transactions in the currency in which you pay the vendor.
Add a vendor with a foreign currency
Here’s how to add a vendor with their currency:
- Go to Expenses (Take me there), then select Vendors.
- Select New vendor.
Note: If it's your first time adding a vendor, select Add vendor.
- Select a foreign currency in the Currency ▼ dropdown.
- Enter the vendor’s name and other information. Then, select Save.
Note: After you save this vendor, you can’t change their currency.
If you want to change the currency for an existing vendor
Once you've added a vendor and recorded transactions with them, you can't change the currency in their profile. However, if you want to record new transactions with them in their currency, here’s what you can do:
- Make the existing vendor profile inactive. Your previous transactions with the vendor stay in QuickBooks.
- Follow the steps above to add the vendor again, and select the currency in which you pay them.
From now on, the new transactions you record with the vendor will be in their currency.