Learn how to convert data using the QuickBooks Conversion Tool.
Do you want to convert your data from Sage 50 (formerly Peachtree) to QuickBooks Desktop? The QuickBooks Conversion Tool is a free program to help you. In this article we'll show you how to use this tool.
Before you get started
For a trouble-free data conversion, there are a few things to check before using the tool.
- Make sure that your Sage 50 and QuickBooks Desktop are installed locally in the same computer.
- Be sure that your QuickBooks database and Sage 50's associated files are saved locally in your computer's hard drive.
- Cross-region conversion isn't' possible using the tool.
The system requirements below are specifically for the Conversion Tool. (Check our QuickBooks Desktop system requirements to make sure your computer is up to date for your QuickBooks, too.)
|Operating System:||Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7|
|Processor:||500 MHz Intel Pentium II (minimum)|
|Memory (RAM):||512 MB (minimum)|
|Hard Drive:||2.5 GB of free space (recommended)|
|Microsoft .NET Framework:||version 2.0 (minimum)|
|QuickBooks Desktop:||Pro, Premier, or Enterprise Solutions 2015 or higher|
|Sage 50:||versions 2013 and above|
Data conversion: What does and doesn't import
The tool guides you through a short and straightforward conversion of your business data into a new QuickBooks company file. It captures the current state of your business. It also creates a log of the conversion process for your records.
What the tool can convert:
- Account Lists
- Employee Lists
- Item Lists
- Customer Lists
- Vendor Lists
- Account balances
- Customer transactions
- Vendor transactions
- Employee List information including contact information and Social Security number
- Payroll General Ledger account balance information
What the tool can't convert:
- Paychecks (will be converted as journal entries)
- Employee Year-To-Date (YTD) information
- Payroll Items
- Individual employee wage or deduction information
- Fixed Asset items
- Work tickets
- Closed or partially closed Sales Orders, Purchase Orders, and Estimates
Run your data conversion
Step 1: Set data access credentials
- Launch Sage 50.
- Open the company file you wish to convert.
- From the main menu, select Maintain, choose Users, then select Setup Security.
- Select the Data Access/Crystal Reports tab.
- Choose With the following login information (Note: You can't change Peachtree in the ID field.)
- Set a new password by selecting the Change.
- After you set the password, close Sage 50.
Step 2: Download and run the Conversion Tool
The tool must run with Windows administrator rights for proper conversion.
- Download the QuickBooks Conversion Tool.
- In the folder your saved it in, select the tool.
- Choose Run as Administrator.
Step 3: Browse and convert the data file
- Choose Browse to select the Sage 50 company file.
- In the Pervasive 32-bit ODBC engine DSN setup window, select your company name and choose O.
- Enter your Sage 50 company file password and select Next.(Note: Password used here is the one you set up during Step 1.)
- Choose the QuickBooks product you're converting to. Then browse to your company file and select Next. (Note: The default save location is C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents, unless you specify your own location.)
- The Ready to Convert window will show the conversion information. Select Convert File to start the conversion process.
- After you choose Convert File, the QuickBooks Conversion Tool will start the conversion process. Please be patient as this goes through the process of converting your data. Once finished, you should see the finished window.
- Choose Open in QuickBooks.
- Check to make sure everything completed correctly.
Step 4: Verify the results
If you find any missing transactions, be sure to check the failed transaction log file located at: C:\Users\YourUserName\My Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks ConversionTool\