Export payroll data to QuickBooks for Mac and what to do each time you run payroll.
Set up your QuickBooks Mac accounts for payroll data
If you have not yet set up payroll accounts in QuickBooks Mac, Intuit will set them up for you the first time you export data into QuickBooks Mac. Just enter the account names you prefer at the Export Preferences page following the instructions in Step 3.
If your QuickBooks Mac company already contains appropriate accounts, you can choose the accounts directly from your QuickBooks Mac Chart of Accounts. If you need to add an account (perhaps for a new deduction), type the name you want for the account in the field and they will be set up the account in your QuickBooks Mac company the first time you transfer data.
- On the Chart of Accounts, find the name of the bank account you use to write payroll checks and the expense accounts for employee wages and employer payroll taxes. Find the liability accounts you use for tax and deduction liabilities. (For cash advance and loan repayment, use asset accounts.)
- If you use subcategories or subaccounts, use a colon to separate the category name from the subcategory; for example: Payroll:Gross Wages (no space before or after the colon)
Set up QuickBooks Mac classesIf you have not yet set up classes that apply to your employees in QuickBooks Mac, create them now. Once the classes have been set up, write down their names or print the list of classes and highlight the ones you will use for the payroll data.
Set up accounts in your Intuit Online Payroll account.You will use the Export Preferences page to enter your QuickBooks Mac accounts. Use the exact same names of the QuickBooks Mac accounts you will use for the payroll data.
- Click Setup.
- Under the Export heading, click Preferences.
- Select QuickBooks for Mac from the software drop down list.
- In the Checking Account box, enter the name of the bank account or select from the drop-down list.
Click Customize to enter the account names exactly as they appear in QuickBooks Mac or select from the drop-down list.
- When entering accounts, read the help topics next to each field to choose the right account type. In general, enter or select an expense account for the Wage and Tax Categories. For the Liability accounts, enter or select the corresponding QuickBooks Mac Liability account.
- If using a cash advance or employee loan deduction, enter or select an asset account to receive the payroll data
- If you use different accounts for different groups of employees, select that option in the wage/tax category section to enter or select different QuickBooks Mac accounts for each employee.
- If you use different accounts for different types of wages/taxes, select that option in the wage/tax category section to enter or select different QuickBooks Mac accounts for each pay type and tax type
- Specify whether you use QuickBooks Mac classes.
- If classes are selected, you will enter them on the next page after clicking OK at the bottom of this page.
- Click OK.
What to do after you create paychecks or tax payments
- Create paychecks or tax payments as usual.
- Approve your checks or payments.
- From the Pay Day tab, click Export to QuickBooks.
- Select the checks and payments you want to export.
- If you're exporting for the first time, checks and payments from the last six months should already be selected.
- If you don't see your checks, change the date range.
- Click Export.
- When you see the confirmation page, click OK.
Exporting with the embedded browser
- Click Pay Day.
- Click Export to QuickBooks.
- Click the Export button.
- The payroll information is then exporting into QuickBooks Mac with no further action.
Exporting from the IOP website outside of QuickBooks Mac
- Open a new web browser outside of QuickBooks Mac.
- Go to www.MacPayroll.com.
- Login as normal.
- Click Pay Day.
- Click Export to QuickBooks.
- Click Export to download the .IIF file.
- From QuickBooks Mac, click File > Import > From IIF Files...
- Locate the .IIF file and import it into QuickBooks Mac.
- The payroll information will then appear in QuickBooks Mac.
What happens when your data is entered into QuickBooks Mac
When your payroll data is transferred to QuickBooks Mac, the process creates one transaction in your bank account register for each payroll service paycheck.
- A split appears for the Wage Account you specified in the export preferences.
- A split appears for the Tax Account you specified in the export preferences.
- One or more splits appear for each Liability account for federal, state and local taxes owed.
- Additional splits are entered for each deduction/garnishment, one for the employees deduction and one for any company contribution