Some errors in exporting from QuickBooks Online to Desktop are caused by the ActiveX file being damaged or corrupted. When this happens, the basic troubleshooting step you need to perform is to uninstall the file. This article is about uninstalling the ActiveX file in the Internet Explorer browser.
Note: The steps outlined in this article should be your last resort if you are attempting to export from QuickBooks Online to Desktop. It is VERY rare that these steps are able to solve the problem that's why you should follow them only after trying everything else.
To uninstall the ActiveX file
- Open Internet Explorer.
- From the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
- Select Settings in the Browsing history section.
- Choose View Objects. You should be able to view all ActiveX files currently installed in your computer.
- Find the file named qboax11 or qboax11.dll (it may be named something different but will start with qboax).
- Right-click that file.
- Select Remove or Delete. If you receive a warning that another program is using the file, close all of your Internet Explorer windows and try again.
Note: Removing the ActiveX control will not prevent you from being able to access your QuickBooks Online company, but you will be prompted to install it again if you choose export your data to a desktop version of QuickBooks.