Learn how to install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
Here’s everything you need to successfully install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale on your computer. Once you’re done with the installation, you can set up your hardware.
Note: If you already installed Point of Sale and need to change the installation type (such as from server to workstation), you'll need to uninstall and then reinstall the program.
Step 1: Check the system requirements
To successfully install Point of Sale, make sure your computer meets the system requirements for the version you want to use. This way, you’re less likely to run into any compatibility issues.
Step 2: Download QuickBooks Point of Sale
Step 3: Install Point of Sale
When Point of Sale finishes downloading, take these steps:
- Open the QuickBooks installation file on your desktop. If you get a prompt to overwrite the existing extracted files, select Yes to All.
- Select Next on the wizard to start the installation.
- Read the License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the terms in the license agreement. Then select Next.
- Enter your license and product number, then select Next.
- Choose the type of installation:
- Only this computer: Use this option for a single user.
- Two or more computers: Use this option if you have multiple users.
- If you choose to install on two or more computers, select the type of workstation that this computer will be:
- Server workstation: This workstation creates and holds your company data.
- Client workstation: This workstation is usually the cash register that’s used to help customers in their daily sales and has access to the program.
- Select Install to begin the installation.
Note: QuickBooks Point of Sale can only be installed in this file path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale (version).
- After the installation, activate QuickBooks Point of Sale and you’re all set. You may need to restart your computer and reopen QuickBooks to get started.
If you run into any problems with installation, learn how to resolve QuickBooks Point of Sale installation errors.