Learn how to install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
Here’s everything you need to successfully install QuickBooks Point of Sale. Once you’re done, you can proceed on setting up the hardware and start using Point of Sale.
Note: If you're looking to install QuickBooks Desktop instead, see Install QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 1: Check the system requirements
To successfully install QuickBooks Point of Sale, you’re computer must meet the system requirements of the version you plan on using. This way, you’re less likely to encounter any incompatibility issues.
Step 2: Download the QuickBooks Point of Sale
Step 3: Install Point of Sale
Once the download is complete, open the QuickBooks installation file on your desktop before following these steps. If you receive a prompt to overwrite the existing extracted files, select Yes to All.
Note: If you need to change the installation type from server to workstation or vice versa, you have to uninstall and reinstall the program.
- Select Next on the wizard to start the installation.
- Read the License Agreement. If you agree, select I accept the terms in the license agreement then, Next.
- Enter your license and product number, then select Next.
- Choose the type of installation, then select Next.
Only this computer - Use this option for single user.
Two or more computers - Use this option if you have multiple users. Select Next after you choosing between Server workstation or Client workstation.
- Server workstation - This workstation creates and holds your company data.
- Client workstation - This workstation is usually the cash register that’s used to assist customers in their daily sales and has simultaneous access to the program.
- Select Install to begin installation.Note: QuickBooks Point of Sale can only be installed in this file path C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale (version).
- After the installation, activate QuickBooks Point of Sale and you’re all set. You may need to restart your computer and reopen QuickBooks to get started.
If you encounter any installation errors, see Resolve QuickBooks Point of Sale installation errors.