I've made the switch from Mac to PC and have been unable to convert my company file for use on my new PC. I have the most up to date version of Quickbooks for Mac 2016 on my Mac and I just purchased and have the most up to date version of Quickbooks Desktop Pro 2019 on my PC.
I've followed all of the instructions on this page (which took me over 10 hours to remove special characters from all of the memo lines on 5+ years of transactions).
I'm able to convert the file on my Mac but when I try to open it on the PC it doesn't complete the process. It makes it all the way to updating the file to the new version and stalls out at 44% and tells me that quickbooks has to quit. It gives me the option of sending an error report and I'm happy to post the report (if that is any help at all) but it doesn't give me a specific error code or anything else.
I also downloaded Quickbooks 2019 for Mac in an attempt to try to upgrade my Mac file to 2019 and then bring it into the PC version but the same thing happens and it crashes at 44% when updating the company file.
Does anyone have any other ideas? I've spent nearly 2 full work days already and am at a loss of what to do next. Are there other special characters that cause conversion problems? (+, -, =) ? Is there somewhere I can send my file to have it converted and sent back to me?
Thanks for letting us know. I'm here to guide you to the right support and make sure you'll get the best help with converting from Mac to Windows.
I appreciate your effort in providing me the detailed information and the steps you've processed just to sort out this issue. Since you've followed all troubleshooting steps and the problem still persists, I encourage you to contact our QuickBooks Desktop Technical Support Team. They have additional tools to pull up your account in a secure environment and do a remote session to investigate this further.
I had the same experience, and followed the instructions to call QB Technical Support. The helpful person who answered my call explained that this is an on-going glitch in their programming. The solution is for Intuit's data conversion crew to upload my file (converted from Mac for Windows) and do something to it themselves. They'll email with instructions for re-downloading and installing when their process is finished (48 to 72 hours).
So the only solution to this problem appears to be to go through Technical Support.
I am installing files created in the 2016 version of QB Premier for Mac on a brand new copy of QB Premier for Windows 2019.