Learn more about sales order status and how to move from one stage to the next in QuickBooks Commerce.
When you create a sales order, it goes through stages that update the stock level correspondingly. We’ll walk you through these statuses and what you can do to move and fulfill the sales order. Here’s the 4 stages of a sales order in QuickBooks Commerce.
The Draft stage is optional and you can either set this as the first stage of your sales order, or you can proceed to the Active stage.
Stock levels will not drop at this stage as they are not assigned yet. Here’s what you can do:
- To get approval for the order, send your customer a sales quote.
- If you are ready to proceed with the sales, approve the draft, and the sales order status will change to Active.
Active stage is when you assign stock to the order, but not deducted from your total stock level yet.
- You can only edit your order at this stage.
- If you’re done with the changes, select Finalize to proceed to the next stage.
At this stage, you can start fulfilling your order. The stock is committed, but not deducted from your total stock yet.
Here’s what you can do at this stage:
- You can now create invoices, payments, and shipments.
- Invoicing and packing doesn’t need to be done in a specific order. However, in order to create a payment, you must first create an invoice.
- For shipments, this means that you can create packing slips and packing labels.
- Shipping your product creates a return. If you create a partial shipment, you create a partial return. Find out more about returns.
- You can only make limited edits to your sales orders:
- Edit the quantity of stock ordered, however, you can only add to the quantity not subtract from it.
- You can add items and landed costs.
- You can change the Issue Date and the Shipment Date.
- You can view the Pick List after creating a shipment.
Note: Once you mark payment as paid, it will sync to your accounting software (XERO/ QuickBooks Online) if you have integrated it with QuickBooks Commerce.
When you ship the order, the status will update to Fulfilled. This change reduces the stock level accordingly.
If you need to remove line items from a sales order, check out how to remove products/items from a sales order.