Find out how to remove blank or rebuilt employee names in the Employee Center.
When creating paychecks, there are employees with no names in the Enter Payroll Information window. This usually happens:
- after performing a Rebuild Data Employees in the Employee Center
- during a rebuild or upgrade of QuickBooks Desktop
- while importing time data from a third party time-tracking software
To remove the blank or rebuilt employees:
Important: Before proceeding, create a back up of your company file.
- Click the Employees menu and choose Employee Center.
- Click the Employees tab.
- From the Employee Center, sort the Employee list by clicking on Name column. All of the blank and rebuilt employee names appear at the top.
- If the blank or rebuilt employees have no paychecks associated with them, select the employee name. Choose the Edit > Delete Employee.
- If you receive an error:
- "QuickBooks cannot delete this name because it has a balance or it is used in at least one transaction.", this indicates the name cannot be deleted because they are associated with other items in QuickBooks Desktop. To resolve, delete the corresponding items first.
- If you receive a message about entering a closing date password, you can set the Date and Password by clicking Edit > Preferences > Accounting > Company Preferences tab and clicking the Set Date/Password button.
If an error occurs indicating the employee name is in use as a "Sales Rep" through the sale rep list and cannot be deleted:
- Make a note of the Rebuilt Employee - ###(Rebuilt).
- From the List menu, go to Customer & Vendor Profile Lists > Sales Rep Lists.
- Find the Rebuilt Employee you are looking for. If you are looking for multiple Rebuilt Employees - sort the Sales Rep List by clicking on the Name column until all the Rebuilt Employees appear at the top.
- Double click the Rebuilt Employee to open the Edit Sales Rep window.
- Rename the Sales Rep to anything (to make it a unique name) by adding either letter and/or number to the name.
- Click OK to Save the change.
- In the Employee, Vendor or Other Name Not Found window, click Quick Setup.
- In the Select Name Type window, select Other, then OK.
- Click OK to close the window.
- Return to the Employee List in the Employee Center.
- Find the Rebuilt Employee you are working with.
- Right-click the Rebuilt Employee name and choose Delete Employee.
If the blank/rebuilt Employees have wages or paychecks associated with them:
- QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Assisted:: Contact us to resolve this problem.
- QuickBooks Payroll Basic, Standard, Enhanced Payroll with Direct Deposit: Create a new employee in QuickBooks Desktop. Make sure taxes the employee is subject to are set up properly. When created, locate the paychecks under the blank/rebuild employee and move the associated paychecks to the new employee. To do this open the paycheck and change the Pay to the Order to the new employee. When you have moved all the paychecks, delete the blank/rebuilt employee and send a zero payroll to Intuit by sending payroll data that has 0 paychecks with $0.00 in the Items to Send section.
- QuickBooks Payroll Basic, Standard, Enhanced: Create a new employee in QuickBooks Desktop. Make sure taxes the employee is subject to are set up properly. When created, locate the paychecks under the blank/rebuild employee and move the associated paychecks to the new employee. To do this open the paycheck and change the Pay to the Order to the new employee. When you have moved all the paychecks, delete the blank/rebuilt employee.