Learn how to create custom workflows to send reminders to your customers or internal team.
With QuickBooks Online Advanced, you can use workflows to automate common tasks in QuickBooks, like sending payment reminders, or new invoices to customers. You can also send reminders to your team to complete specific tasks, like reviewing open invoices. Automating tasks with workflows saves time so you can focus on your business.
Here we’ll show you how to create your own custom workflows from a single template.
You can also create new workflows with templates pre-built by QuickBooks.
Create a custom workflow
When you create a workflow, it sends reminders based on the conditions you set up. Here’s how to create a custom workflow:
- Select the Workflows menu. Or select Settings ⚙ and then Manage Workflows.
- Select the Templates tab.
- In the Workflow name field, enter a name for the template.
- In the ▼ dropdown for Choose a source, select the template type: invoice, bill, or estimate.
- In the When this happens section, use the ▼ dropdowns to select the conditions. Select +Add another condition to create more conditions.
- In the Do this in QuickBooks section, select the actions QuickBooks will take when the conditions are met. This determines what happens after the template activates.
- Under How would you like this action to happen?, select the checkboxes to tell QuickBooks how to send the reminder. Then select the corresponding ▼ dropdown for options on assigning the reminder. The options that display depend on the type of reminder you select.
Note: The highlighted fields in the template are variables. The variables populate the reminder message with your company or the customer info. To change the variable, enter #, then select the variable you want to use like customer name, company name, or amount.
- Create a reminder in Tasks: This creates a new task in the Tasks menu. You can choose who you want to assign the task to and the name of the task. You can also choose to close the task manually, or have QuickBooks close the task for you when the action is taken, like when your invoice or bill is paid.
- Send a customer email: This sends an email directly to your customer and any email address you add with the CC (carbon copy) or BCC (blind carbon copy) option. You can also customize the subject and email message of the template.
- Send a company email: You can choose to send an email to someone within the company. Define the subject and body or use the defaults.
- Send a push notification: This sends a push notification to a user through the QuickBooks Online mobile app.
- When you're done, select Save and Enable to turn on your workflow.