Learn how to link your Merchant Service account to your QuickBooks Online company.
Sending e-invoices and letting your customers pay online make it easier for you to do business. To turn on this feature in QuickBooks Online, link your Merchant account to your QuickBooks Online company. We'll show you how.
Is your Merchant account currently linked to a QuickBooks Desktop company?
If your Merchant account is currently linked to a QuickBooks Desktop company file, there are a few things you'll need to do first.
- Make sure you can log in to both your QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online company file as a Primary Administrator.
- Check if you'll be able to access the email account used when the Merchant account was set up.
- Check the Recurring Charges set up within QuickBooks Desktop. These charges need to be turned off to avoid double-charging your customers. To turn off recurring charges in QuickBooks Desktop:
- From the Customers menu, select CC Processing Activities, then Automatic Credit Billing.
- Select Suspend for each recurring charge.
- Set up the recurring charges in QuickBooks Online after your Merchant account is linked.
If you have recurring transactions that run directly from the Merchant Service Center instead of QuickBooks Desktop, you can go into the Merchant Service Center to cancel.
Link your Merchant Service to QuickBooks Online
Now, link your Merchant account to QuickBooks Online.
- Sign in to your QuickBooks Online account.
- Select the Gear icon, then Account and Settings (or Company Settings).
- Select Payments,then Connect.
- You'll see this screen, once it detects the Payments account.
- Select Next to proceed.
- When the account has been successfully linked, you'll receive a confirmation page.
- Select Done.
- To confirm the account is linked go to Account and Settings (Company Settings), then Payments. You should see a Manage details button. This means your QuickBooks Payments account is now successfully linked to QuickBooks Online.
Depending on the specific type of merchant account you have, you may not be able to link it from the website. In that case, you'll need to contact us to complete the process. You can also contact them if you want to unlink the currently linked account and link another.