Learn how to add a vendor with a foreign currency in QuickBooks Online Essentials, Plus, and Advanced.
Does a vendor use a currency that's different from yours? If you’ve turned on multicurrency, you can add the vendor to QuickBooks and choose their currency in their profile. This lets you record transactions in the currency you pay them with.
Add a vendor with a foreign currency
Here’s how to add a vendor with their currency:
- From the left menu, go to Expenses.
- Select Vendors, then New Vendor.
- Enter the vendor's name and other info.
- From the I pay this vendor with ▼ dropdown menu, select the currency you use to pay this vendor.
- Select Save when you’re done.
If you want to change the currency for an existing vendor
Once you add a vendor and record transactions with them, you can't change the currency in their profile. However, if you want to record new transactions with the vendor in their currency, here’s what you can do:
- Make the existing vendor profile inactive. Your previous transactions with the vendor stay in QuickBooks.
- Follow the steps above to add the vendor again, and select the currency you pay them with.
From now on, the new transactions you record with the vendor will be in their currency.