Learn how to assign a foreign currency to your customer in QuickBooks Online Simple Start, Essentials, Plus, and Advanced.
Does a customer use a currency that's different from yours? If you’ve turned on multicurrency, you can add the customer to QuickBooks and choose their currency. This lets you record transactions in the currency they pay you with.
Here's how to assign a foreign currency for a customer. Or, get to know more about multicurrency.
Assign a foreign currency to a new customer
- From the left menu, select Sales.
- Select Customer, then New customer.
- In the Customer information window, fill out the needed information.
- Select Payment and billing.
- In This customer pays me with field, select the customer's currency. This is the currency that the customer uses to pay you for products or services.
- Select Save.
Change the currency for an existing customer
Once you add a customer and record transactions with them, you can't change the currency in their profile. However, if you want to record new transactions with the customer in their currency, here’s what you can do:
- Make the existing customer profile inactive. Your previous transactions with the customer stay in QuickBooks.
- Follow the steps above to add the customer again, and assign the currency they pay you with.
From now on, the new transactions you record with the customer will be in their currency.