Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1


A couple of times, we have rented a truck or car/van to deliver our material when our truck broke down. Where should I enter these expenses, under Auto Expenses or Freight Out?


Thank you. 

1 Comment 1
QuickBooks Team


Hello @edith1006,


The car or truck rentals are recorded as an expense in QuickBooks. However, it's best to consult with your accountant to handle this accordingly.


Here's how to record an expense:


  1. Go to Banking, then Write Checks.
  2. Select a Bank Account from the drop-down, Pay to the order of.
  3. Choose the Expenses tab, and look for the "Auto Expense account" from the drop-down.
  4. Enter the Amount.
  5. Hit Save & New.

With these steps, you'll be able to create track of your expense properly. You can learn more about the chart of accounts at this link here: Understand the chart of accounts in QuickBooks.


We also a guide on accounts payable workflow that I'm sure you'll find helpful. It contains detailed steps and links to help you out.


Please let us know if you need help with anything else. We're always here to lend a hand. Thanks for joining us today and I wish you have a nice day.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us
Sign in for the best experience
Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.
Sign In / Sign Up