Recently, we moved our QuickBooks from a remote server to a local server. Naturally, the remote server was set up with individual logins. My company decided there were too many issues with the remote server, so I was tasked with moving QuickBooks back to our local server.
I used backup files and restored them to our local server. There were no problems with installation and everything appears to have been set up correctly. I installed the database manager and Quickbooks Desktop on the server and installed QuickBooks Desktop on each user's machine (we have 6 available total, 4 current installations including the server). Everything appeared to be fine.
Shortly after installation, our Accounting manager noticed the QuickBooks Desktop application was very slow and had a tendency to freeze. However, this issue does not occur when logging into the server with Remote Desktop and using the application directly on the server. I thought maybe this was a firewall issue, but I manually added the port exceptions off Intuit's website to the firewall with no luck. There are no antivirus programs that should cause any problems, either. All of the users are experiencing this.
We used to run Quickbooks 17 off of this server with no issue. I do not believe this is a connection problem as our network is generally fast. Our server specifications exceed all of those provided by Intuit (Proliant Gen 8, Win 10 Pro, 16 GB RAM). Is this a network problem? Installation problem? Did I miss something? Is our server lacking in some way? Any help would be appreciated. I am looking to solve this problem as quickly and cost effectively as possible. Thanks in advance.
Welcome and thanks for reaching out to the Community, EricHAB.
There a few possible reasons why QuickBooks Desktop (QBDT) freezes. This could include:
In this case, let's run the QuickBooks Refresher (QBRefresher) Tool. This helps end all the processes running in the background and also performs a mini repair.
If the issue persists, run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool. This will automatically diagnose and fix issues with Microsoft components the program uses. Here's how:
After that, try opening QBDT again to double-check. If the same thing happens, please check out this article and proceed to solutions 3 to 5 for more troubleshooting steps: Solutions for when QuickBooks stops working.
Please let me know if you encounter any other issues by leaving a comment in this thread. I'm always ready to assist. Take care and have a good one!
Assuming there is not corruption on all 3 of the clients and not on the server, are there any other solutions? Again, the desktop client works with no issue on the actual server. Only the machines accessing the company file over the network are experiencing issues. I have already run the diagnostic tools. No errors come up except for dialogue on the side that says Failed component_win10.
I appreciate your swift reply, @EricHAB. If you've already performed all the solutions in the article provided by my peer @FritzF and still experiencing the same issue, I'd suggest you contact our Customer Care this time. Here's how:
Once you have our support on the line, you can request a screen sharing session to let them check your company file. That way, they can help you identify what's causing this problem and troubleshoot the issue.
Let us know how it goes, @EricHAB. Know that we're always here if you need more help.
I did actually contact support. They gave me a few possibilities but I still have not found the exact cause. I thought maybe this could be some sort of hardware issue. I thought maybe it could be a switch going bad, but there was an indicator light lit for the gigabit connection. This morning, I have tried moving around connections. We have a Cisco Meraki MX65 connected directly to our router. I have plugged the server directly into the Meraki in order to test whether there was any improvement.
Also, I'm not sure if this is important, but QuickBooks Database Manager has a service labled DB27. On older versions, I see two services: DB27 and DB28. The server has also started frequently freezing when attempting to connect with remote desktop. There does not seem to be any issues with the server. It has plenty of RAM and I do not see anything that should be conflicting with QuickBooks.
Does this seem to be a hardware issue or an issue with my install of QuickBooks or a network issue? I am confident the network is configured correctly and the server should not be having any issues running QB Database. Any suggestions at all would be much appreciated.
So plugging the server directly into the firewall apparatus has improved performance significantly. I am pursuing whether this was a bad switch like I thought or if this has something to do with wiring. The server freezing seems to be a separate issue. Any thoughts or ideas so we don't encounter this in the future? If we don't solve the problem now, I'm sure it will become a problem later on.
hi @EricHAB ,
Let me offer you for another test to isolate the issue. Install the trial period of a private cloud solution. Your users will access the data by internet connection only directly to local host/server. If your problem still persists, you have to focus troubleshooting on host/server side.
Just my 2 cents.
That is a good idea. I will give it a shot. It will remove a lot of factors and narrow down where I need to focus. I am really hoping this is just a bad switch or an outdated wire. Like I said, when I removed the switch from the equation and plugged directly into the Meraki, performance instantly increased. If I figure this out, I will post my solution for others to reference. Any other ideas are more than welcome. For now, my luck is holding and QB is functioning properly.