I recently had a problem where my scheduled backups stopped running all of a sudden. I resolved this using the fix in this thread: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Install/Scheduled-backups-are-NOT-working-in-Windows-10-afte...
For whatever reason, my settings for scheduled backups were removed from my company file settings. I re-created them but I changed the time the backup runs. The scheduled backups are running according to the new settings but for some reason there is a QBTempBackup.tmp file being created at the time I had previously set the backup to run.
For example: one of my company files was set to backup at 11:30PM each night. When the backups stopped running I reset the scheduled backup to run at 11:50PM. Now the backups are running at 11:50PM, but there is a temp file being created with a time stamp of 11:30PM.
This has something to do with the scheduled backups failing prior to applying the fix mentioned above as company files that did not have backups scheduled until after implementing the fix do not have the issue with the temp file. How can I resolve this?
Thank you for posting here in the Community. I'm here to help provide additional clarification about the Temp folders from QuickBooks Desktop.
The QBBackupTemp folder will continue to show and won't get deleted automatically for any unsuccessful backup on the program. These type of folders are also safe to be removed manually on your local files.
For more insights into QBBBackup Temp folders, I'm adding the support link on this:
If they're no longer working as designed and the folders aren't deleting on its own, I recommend contacting our QuickBooks support. One of them will be able to review your account and ensure you'll get back on track with your backups.
Here's how you can reach them:
Please keep in touch with me here so I can ensure your issue regarding the backup gets fixed. Cheering you and your business to continued prosperity.
AlcaeusF, thanks for the reply, but this issue is in regard to temp files being created for scheduled backups that are no longer configured. Why is QB creating a temp file for a scheduled backup that no longer exists?
I appreciate you getting back to us, MJK999.
Allow me to take over and share additional information concerning the QBTempBackup.tmp file.
A QBBackupTemp folder is a temporary folder used as a holding area for QuickBooks file components during the QuickBooks Backup (.QBB) file preparation process. These files are automatically deleted once the backup file is completed. The .DSN files are backup files that did not complete successfully.
In some cases, the temp (.tmp) folder may remain if there is a failure error message during the backup. With that said, you'll have to manually delete it. The "Clear up memory used by QBBackupTemp Folders" section of this article provides more details about this: Create a backup of the QuickBooks Desktop company file.
This article is a good reference as well: Restore a backup of your company file.
For additional help, you can also reach out to our QuickBooks Desktop Support.
Hope I helped you get all straightened out today. Let me know if you have other backup file questions. Have a great day.
Thanks RoseMarjorieA, but this is not what I was asking for, and it's the same info the previous reply contained. Not sure why you think posting it again would suddenly provide a solution.
Allow me to step in, MJK999.
I've read your original post and looked into this further. Our engineers are aware of the current ongoing issue with Windows is creating multiple TMP files from the old scheduled backup time. As a workaround, you can delete those files manually.
Since this is under investigation, I suggest giving our QuickBooks Technical Support a quick call. They'll be able to add you to the list of affected users to receive updates on this.
When you do, provide this escalation number: INV-24197. Just follow the steps above to get our contact information.
I appreciate you for reaching out to the Community. Please know that this is being treated with the utmost urgency.
Tag my name below if you have any questions. I'll do everything I can to answer them.
Please follow the below steps that you can use:
- Select File, and select Switch to Single-user Mode.
- From the File menu, select Backup Company, and select Create Local Backup.
- In the Create Backup dialog, select Local Backup.
- Select Options to open the Backup Options dialog.
- In the Tell us where to save your backup copies field, select Browse and select the location in which to save the backup copy.
- (Optional) Specify whether to add the date and time of the backup to the file name to make it easier to identify a specific backup file, and whether to set a limit on the number of backup copies to save to the folder you specified to save hard drive space.
- In the Online and Local Backup section, optionally select the Remind me to back up when I close my company file option to set a frequency for backup reminders.
- Select one of the verification options to verify the data you save and alert you to any data corruption.
- Select Ok.
- In the Create Backup window, specify whether to back up automatically, and select Options to set options for automatic backups.
- Optionally select New to set a backup schedule in the Schedule Backups dialog.
- You can give your schedule a description, specify a backup location, and set the options for what days and times the backup should be performed on.
- Select Finish.
QuickBooks Cloud | QuickBooks Hosting Consultant - Apps4Rent