Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

State information

Where do I enter my business state tax account information so it automatically shows up on my payroll/tax documents? 

Not applicable

State information

Great to see you here today, Bbguys2,


I can help you enter your state information so it automatically shows up on your tax reports.


There are two ways to enter your state account information. Let me guide you on how to do that:


Option 1: In the Payroll Item List page.

  1. Go to the Lists menu.
  2. Choose Payroll Item List.
  3. Double-click the state tax.
  4. Click Next until you get to the Agency for company-paid liability or Agency for employee-paid liability section.
  5. Edit the agency and the account number.
  6. Click Next multiple times, then Finish.

Option 2: In the Payroll Setup window.

  1. Go to the Employees menu.
  2. Select Payroll Setup.
  3. Click the Taxes menu to expand the options.
  4. Choose Schedule payments.
  5. Enter the correct agency and account number.
  6. Click Next until tax set up is complete.
  7. Click Finish Later.

That should get you on the right track, Bbguys2. You may want to check this article for your reference on how to edit your state information: Add or change your company's state account number


Please let me know if you have any more questions with the steps. I'm here to share some more insights with you. Have a good one!

Level 1

State information

If payroll checks previously issued did not have a state (NJ) designation is there a way to go back to those checks to designate the state?  The issue is for W-2's the State Gross is missing amounts for several payroll checks for which the state was not designated until after those several checks were issued.  So the employees in question have amounts in the NJ taxable box but it does not match the Federal Gross by the those checks.  Nothing has been filed yet so this is not a correction situation.


Any hep would be appreciated as it seems we are not able to go back and change those checks and we are trying to avoid voiding the originals and redoing them.

QuickBooks Team

State information

Hello there, @bob136.


I'd like to help ensure you have an accurate information entered on your employee's W2 form.


To make sure you will not incur any problems with your 2018 tax forms like 941 and W2, what you can do is to create an adjustment check dated the same with the last payroll for 2018. Prior creating the adjustment check, you need to make sure you have updated the State Tax information of your employees and created a payroll item for it.


Lastly, since your employee's were overpaid on their payroll last year, you can create a deduction item with a tax tracking type of “None” and use it on their first payroll for the current year. 


For a step-by-step instructions, you may check out this article: How QuickBooks calculates payroll taxes and how you can verify tax calculations.


Here’s how to contact us:

  1. Go to:
  2. Choose your QuickBooks Product.
  3. Select Payroll.
  4. Choose your type of Payroll Subscription.
  5. Hit Payroll.
  6. Click on the View Contact Info button to see the support number.

Feel free to click the Reply button if you have other questions about preparing your employee's W2. I'm always here to lend a hand.

Need to get in touch?

Contact us
Sign in for the best experience
Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of QuickBooks users.
Sign In / Sign Up