Get help with multi-user issues in QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to get your client workstations communicating and connected to the server.
The issues you are experiencing may vary from the workstation not connecting to the server to any of the following:
Error: Fixing the Connection
Error: You are not connected to the server
Error: Specify the Server and Company Data File
Point of Sale is grayed out
Below are the possible reasons why these issues happen:
- The server is not in multi-user mode
- Firewall and/or third-party application is blocking the connection between the server and workstation(s)
- Network connection issues
- The IP address used is a dynamic IP
- Network sharing and folder permissions are not configured properly
Before performing the recommended solutions below, make sure you have:
Solution 1. Check the Server if Point of Sale is in multi-user mode.
From the File menu, go to Switch Company File to Multi User Mode.
Solution 2. Configure Firewall.
Solution 3. Edit Windows hosts file.
Pro tip: We recommend that your server computer’s IP address should be Static; otherwise, connectivity issues may recur. If you need to ensure that your computer’s IP address is Static, please contact an IT professional.
Solution 4. Rename the WS Activity.
- Open the folder where WSActivity is saved.Location: C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Point of Sale XX\IniNote: XX is the version of your Point of Sale.
- Right-click the WSActivity file and select Rename.
- Rename the file to OLDWSActivity.
- Close and re-open Point of Sale in all workstations.
Solution 5. Use the QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale Connectivity Tool.
Follow Download and use QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale Connectivity Tool and perform its recommended fix.