The print test will help you in making sure that the text on your W-2 form will align correctly with the boxes on a preprinted form. When you perform a print test, you use a blank paper so you avoid wasting preprinted forms.
Assumption: You are in the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window in QuickBooks Desktop.
Note: Your adjustments remain in effect until you change them, so be sure to check alignment when you are ready to print a different type of form.
- Load your printer with blank paper.
- In the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window, click Print Test. This will print the text on your W-2 forms only.
- Put the printout above your preprinted form or vice versa (whichever has thinner sheet). Hold them up to the light and check the alignment.
- If the text aligns with the boxes on preprinted forms, you can now print the form using the actual preprinted forms.
- If the text does not align with the boxes on preprinted forms, proceed to the next step.
- In the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window, click Align.
- In the Preprinted forms alignment window, adjust the alignment of the text. Use only positive numbers. Enter 0 (zero) if the horizontal alignment is correct.
- Horizontal alignment: Select Left or Right to indicate direction, and then enter the distance (Inches) you want the text to move.
- Vertical alignment: Select Up or Down to indicate direction, and then enter the distance (Inches) you want the text to move.
- Click Print Test to see the result of your adjustment.
- Repeat step 1 to step 6 until you are satisfied that the form will print correctly on the preprinted form.
- Click OK to close the Preprinted forms alignment window.
- You can now print your W-2s using preprinted forms.
If the W-2s still will not align:
Option 1: Print on Blank / Perforated Paper
Option 2: Purchase W-2 paper from Intuit. Look for the vendor code from your W-2 purchase. The code should be 0000/1030D if purchase was made from Intuit.
- Access the Print W-2 and W-3 forms window.
- Choose Employees > Payroll Tax Forms and W-2s > Process Payroll Forms.
Select the W-2 Form from the list of forms.
In the File Forms section, select Annual Form W-2/W-3 - Wage and Tax Statement/Transmittal and click the Create Form button.
- In the Process W-2s for options, select All Employees or select Employee's Last Name (choose From and To) to file by batch.
- In the SELECT FILING PERIOD section, in the Year field, enter the year of the form you are printing and click OK.
- In the Select Employees for Form W-2/W-3 window, select the employees you are printing for. You can also click Mark All to select all employees displayed.If you have not yet reviewed all W-2 forms (as indicated by missing checkmarks in the Reviewed column), click Review/Edit. After reviewing, click Submit Form to continue printing.
- Click Print/E-file. This will open the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms window
Option 3: Have your IT person check the compatibility of your printer driver.
- Check your printer manufacturer's website to download and re-install the latest print driver.
- Open Devices and Printers and check which printer is installed.
- If the driver of your printer is PCL6 print driver, install the PCL5 print driver.
- If the PCL5 print driver doesn't work, try downloading and installing a Post Script print driver.