Learn how to use Assisted Payroll’s Preview W-2 feature and see the first 3 quarters of payroll records and ensure W-2 accuracy.
Previewing your employees W-2 is important, it helps make sure that the payroll you’ve processed is accurate and ready to file. Let’s make sure you know how it works, and can correct things if necessary.
What is Preview W-2? What period does it show?
Note: you can only see your W-2s November 7th to December 15th.
W-2 forms are created as a "Preview" of what your employee's W-2's would look like if created at that point in time. This allows you to review the data to ensure accurate information for mailing the form to the employee and filing with the agency.
The information you can view in Preview W-2 reflects the current year payroll information transmitted to our service through September 30, regardless of the pay date. If a payroll was not processed prior to or on September 30, it does not appear in the Preview W-2.
To access Preview W-2 forms in QuickBooks Desktop:
- Select Employees and then Payroll Center.
- Select the File Forms tab.
- Select the View/Print Forms & W-2s button located in the bottom right of the window.
- Enter your payroll PIN.
- In the Payroll Tax Center home window, click the Preview W-2 Information tab.
- Select the Preview All Employee W-2s button.
- Review the following employee information on each W-2: Name, Address, and Social Security Number.
- You should also ensure that your company information is correct: Legal Name, Address, and then Employer Identification Number (EIN).
We recommend that you also validate the W-2 tax and wage data on the W-2 Preview against the same information in your QuickBooks Desktop using the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Summary Report to review your Employees' W-2 data.
Viewing and Correcting W-2 information after December 15
After December 15th, you can use QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Summary Report or Tax Worksheets in Excel to review your Employees' W-2 data.
Current year W-2s previews should not be filed. Intuit will electronically file your W-2s for you after the end of the year.
Reminder: Only pay dates on or before September 28th will be included in the W-2 Preview.
Correction requests for W-2 information should be submitted no later than December 27. Depending on the correction, a W-2C (corrected W-2) form and/or amendment may be necessary.
If you need to make a correction to your W-2 call our team at 1-800-4INTUIT.