The following are steps to completely uninstall and then reinstall QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale to troubleshoot and resolve software issues.
|Before performing the steps below, make sure:
Step 1. Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale
- On your keyboard, press Windows + R to open Run window.
- Type Control Panel, then select OK.
- Select Programs and Features.Note: If Control Panel is in Category View, select Uninstall a Program.
- In the list of programs, select QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0, then select Uninstall/Change.
- Follow the prompts to complete the process.
Step 2. Rename all Point of Sale folders
If uninstalling from the server computer (or the computer where the POS data file is locally saved), copy the Point of Sale data folder and paste it to the Desktop. As a suggestion, add 'OLD' at the end of the folder name. This will prevent QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale from recognizing the folder in order to create a new one.
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks POS XX
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale 18.0
Delete the QBPOSDBSrvUser Windows user
- Select Windows Start and select Control Panel.
- Select User Accounts and choose Manage another account.
- In the User Account Control window, select Continue.
- Select QBPOSDBSrvUser and select Delete the account.
- Confirm the folder has been deleted.
- Restart the computer.
Step 3. Reinstall Point of Sale
Please see Install QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale.
Step 4. Restore your company file
Note: If you were unable to make a backup, restore the qbpos.db file located in the data folder pasted in your desktop.
- Open QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale, create a new company file with the name you want to use, and restore the backup created.
- After the file is restored and you have verified it is the right set of data, verify you can close and reopen Point of Sale without errors, connect with other POS machines, and connect with QuickBooks Desktop(if applicable).
- Register QuickBooks Desktop Point of Sale again.Important: POS and QuickBooks Desktop share some licensing files. Make sure you can still open QuickBooks Desktop and register if prompted. If you like to remove the data folder from the desktop, move it to another folder such as Public Documents, or Shared Documents but do not delete it.