Learn how to troubleshoot problems when you can’t print, email, or save as a PDF from QuickBooks Desktop.
If you can’t print, email, or save as a PDF from QuickBooks Desktop, we have the tools to help.
Errors the Print and PDF Repair tool can fix
- There is a problem connecting to your currently selected printer, Microsoft XPS Document writer on XPS port.
- Could not print to printer.
- Error: QuickBooks can't complete the current action due to a missing component: Missing pdf file component.
- QuickBooks is not responding.
- PDF Converter shows offline.
- You cannot print directly to the QuickBooks PDF Converter.
- The device is not ready.
- Unable to save as .pdf file.
- QuickBooks could not save your form or reports as a .pdf.
- QuickBooks freezes when you try to reconcile accounts.
- Print Driver Host for 32-bit Applications has Stopped Working.
- Unrecoverable error.
- QuickBooks PDF Converter Activation Error -20, -30, or -41.
- Error 1722 or 1801 when installing PDF Converter.
- Problems printing transactions or reports.
Solution 1: Run the QuickBooks Print & Print Repair Tool from the QuickBooks Tool Hub
Step 1: Download and install the QuickBooks Tool Hub
The QuickBooks Tool Hub helps fix common errors. For the best experience, we recommend you use Tool Hub on Windows 10, 64-bit.
- Close QuickBooks.
- Download the most recent version (18.104.22.168) of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Save the file somewhere you can easily find it (like your Downloads folder or your Windows desktop). Note: If you've installed Tool Hub before, you can find out which version you have. Select the Home tab. The version will be on the bottom.
- Open the file you downloaded (QuickBooksToolHub.exe).
- Follow the on-screen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- When the install finishes, double-click the icon on your Windows desktop to open the tool hub.
Note: If you can't find the icon, do a search in Windows for QuickBooks Tool Hub and select the program.
Step 2: From the Tool Hub, run the QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool
- In the QuickBooks Tool Hub, select Program Problems.
- Select QuickBooks PDF & Print Repair Tool. It will take about a minute to run.
- Attempt to print, email, or save as a PDF from QuickBooks Desktop again.
If this doesn't fix the issue, move on to the next solution.
Solution 2: Reset your temp folder permissions
Step 1: Reset your temp folder permissions
If you still get an error, reboot your computer and then try again. If it still fails, try to reset your temp folder permissions. Check the folder permissions to the TEMP folder:
- Press the Windows key + R to open the RUN command.
- Type %TEMP% and press Enter.
- Right-click an empty area of the temp folder, and choose Properties.
- Select the Security tab.
- Ensure all user names and groups showing on the Security tab have Full Control.
- Once the permissions have been set to Full Control, save as a PDF again within QuickBooks.
Step 2: Confirm you can print to your XPS (only for Save as PDF and Email issues)
Confirm you can print to your XPS Document Writer. QuickBooks uses parts of the XPS Document Writer (Microsoft Windows product) to save as a PDF.
- Open Notepad.
- Type Test. Select File and then Print.
- Select the XPS Document Writer, and then Print.
- Type a filename and save it to your desktop.
- Go to your desktop and view the XPS document you printed from notepad.
Things to consider:
- To test print issues, print to your printer (instead of your XPS Document Writer). Check if you can print successfully outside QuickBooks.
- If you can't print to your XPS printer (or actual printer) outside of QuickBooks, you'll need to contact your IT professional or Microsoft for help. Microsoft XPS Writer (or your printer driver) isn't an Intuit product.
Solution 3: Check to see if the reconcile window is off of the screen
If QuickBooks appears to lock up after you select reconcile from the Banking menu, but PDF functions work, the reconcile window may show off screen.
- Choose the Window menu and look in the list to see if your reconcile window is listed.
- Select Close All and begin the reconcile again.
If you continue to get an error while you reconcile accounts, get more help with unrecoverable errors.
Solution 4: Test, reinstall, and adjust permissions for XPS Document Writer (for users who use Windows but not Terminal Services)
Before you proceed with this solution consider the following:
- Intuit doesn't support Microsoft apps and isn't responsible for these tools.
- If you're uncomfortable with these tasks, we recommend you have an IT professional do this for you.