Learn how to figure out what the gross up prior payrolls are for your employees.
If you have paid wages to your employees without taxes taken out, our Online Payroll services can help you calculate the correct gross wages and tax amounts. We'll show you the steps to gross up prior payrolls.
Enter gross up prior payrolls — QuickBooks Online Payroll
To gross up prior payrolls using QuickBooks Online Payroll, follow these steps.
- During the initial setup interview, indicate that you have paid W-2 employees this year through Lump sum payments (cash or check, with no taxes taken out).
- If you indicate that you paid employees in the previous quarter or that you want to Collect the employees’ share of the taxes from the employee, your situation requires special handling. Contact us and we can help you with what to do.
- If you paid employees in the current quarter only, but haven't taken any taxes out. You can choose to Pay the employees’ share of the taxes yourself. As you add your employees, we’ll ask you for the date you paid them. And the amount. We’ll be “grossing up” each pay to have the appropriate gross amount less taxes equal the amount you’ve paid (net pay).
- Add an employee. And enter their payroll information.
- Tell us how much you have paid your employee so far.
- Enter the net amount you have paid to your employee by pay date.
- Add more pay dates as needed.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3. Add all the employees you have paid during the current calendar year. Including terminated employees.
- Select Continue until you get a message that you're All done. You can now your first payroll.
- The system will create a payroll history with taxes. To check the breakdown of taxes:
- Select Workers, then Employees.
- Select Paycheck list.
- Check each employee's payroll history if it's correct.
Enter gross up prior payrolls — Intuit Online Payroll
Here's how to enter gross up prior payrolls in Intuit Online Payroll.
- Select Start to enter Prior Payrolls.
- Indicate that you've already paid employees this year with lump sum payments. Then select Continue.
- Select Pay the employee's share of taxes yourself. Then select Continue.
- Enter the pay dates and lump sum amounts paid to each employee. When finished, select Done with Pay Info.
- You'll be returned to the main setup page. If all setup is complete and you're ready to run payroll, select Pay Employees.
Prepare the Total net pay per employee by pay date.
|Basic Information||Pay Information||Pay History|
|Hire dateGenderW-4 info:
Other pay typesDeductions/contributions
|Year-to-date payroll details|