Learn how transactions are matched when using Sync with PayPal.
When importing PayPal transactions, the Sync with PayPal application matches the items of a particular transaction to the available products/services in QuickBooks. In this article we'll explain how it works.
Setting up item names to match
When Sync with PayPal matches items, the match is based on the item name.
- If a match is made: it uses the matched product/service.
- If a match isn't made: it uses the default item called PayPal items
To make sure item matching works, check that the item names in QuickBooks and PayPal are the same. Also, be sure that the product/service setting is set. This way the product/service will be marked as either used for sales or used for purchases.
- Select the Gear icon, then Lists.
- Select Products and Services.
- Search for the Product/Service that needs to be edited.
- Select Edit.
- Select the appropriate checkbox. Make sure the Sales Price and Income Account are correct. Since item categories can't be used in transactions, make sure your category names aren't matched to the items on PayPal transactions.
Troubleshooting mismatched names
There may be times that even if the item name matches it still can't use the item in a transaction. There are two main reasons for this.
Reason 1If the checkbox for "I sell this product/service to my customers" isn't selected, Sync with PayPal won't import the sales transaction. This will occur even if the Product/Service item name matches the one from the PayPal transaction.
Reason 2The matching product/service in QuickBooks isn't a product, but a category.
Product category is a recently introduced feature used to group a list of related products/services. Even if the name matches with the PayPal transaction, it can't be used as a product item within a Sale transaction.
Instead of failing the transaction in these cases, you'll see the default PayPal item and the description with the item name from PayPal. This way, the transaction is still imported with details provided.