Learn about tax deadlines and important quarterly and year-end dates for QuickBooks Payroll Basic, Standard, and Enhanced.
Want to keep up to date on key dates and deadlines? We outline key quarterly dates for you.
Important Quarterly Filing Dates
Any paychecks dated within a calendar quarter (regardless of the pay-period ending date) are included in that quarter's wage information.
The quarters are as follows:
- Quarter 1 (Q1): January 1 - March 31
- Quarter 2 (Q2): April 1 - June 30
- Quarter 3 (Q3): July 1 - September 30
- Quarter 4 (Q4): October 1 - December 31
The following sections outline important quarterly filing dates.
March 31, June 30, September 30, December 31
March 31, June 30, September 30, and December 31 are the last days of their respective quarters.
Any paycheck dated within the quarter (regardless of the pay-period ending date) will be included in your first quarter 941 and state tax filings.
April 30, July 31, October 31, and February 1
April 30, July 31, October 31, and February 1 are the due dates for the following:
- Deadline for filing Federal Form 941
Form 941 filings are due on the last day of the month following the end of the quarter. This does not affect your scheduled tax payment for 941.
See Instructions for Form 941 for additional information
- Deadline for filing most State Tax forms
Most state quarterly filings are due on the last day of the month following the end of the quarter. To verify the filing deadline in your state, visit our Payroll Tax Compliance website, select your State, and, on the Tax Forms tab, select the View link next to the State Forms to see the filing due dates.
|Tip The end of the quarter is a busy time for tax agencies, so submitting or e-filing your tax forms before the deadline is a good idea.|
Important Year End Dates
The following sections outline important dates to be aware of for year-end processing.
February 1 is the deadline for the following forms:
- Final day to furnish W-2s to your employees (you meet the Furnish requirement if the form is properly addressed and mailed on or before the due date)
For more information, see General Instructions for Forms W-2 and W-3
- Final day to file the forms 1099-NEC and 1096.
- Final day to distribute the form 1099-NEC (recipient's copy) to your vendors.
For instructions on how to set up and print 1099 Misc Form for your Vendors, see How to set up contractors and track them for 1099s in QuickBooks
- Final day to file 941 for Q4
- Final day to file 943 and 944
March 1 and March 31
Manual and electronic filers have different due dates:
- March 1 is the final day for manual filers to file the form 1099-MISC.
- March 31 is the final day for electronic filers to file the form 1099-MISC.
Not sure if you need to file one? See What is a 1099 and do I need to file one? for information.
For instructions on how to set up and print Forms 1099 for your vendors, see How to set up contractors and track them for 1099s in QuickBooks.
More information about due dates
For more information about filing due dates, see the following articles: