Learn your options for submitting a late tax payment or penalty.
Do you need to make a late federal tax payment or pay a penalty? We provide some basic information.
Make a late federal tax payment
You have several options for making a late federal tax payment. The following links help guide you.
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System: EFTPS
- Alternate payment options: IRS electronic payment options
Pay a penalty for delinquent taxes
If you pay a tax after the due date (sometimes called the delinquent date or cutoff date), you may owe a penalty and interest. You should:
- Pay the basic tax liability reported to you.
- Contact the IRS for assistance in calculating the penalty and interest. (Alternatively, you can wait to receive a written IRS penalty notice in the mail.)
- Intuit Online Payroll does not calculate or track penalties and interest.
Things to know
- Do not include penalties and interest when recording the payment in Intuit Online Payroll.
- Pay the penalty and interest.