Learn how to use the reclassify transactions tool to batch edit transactions.
Need to change multiple transactions or move them to a different account? In QuickBooks Online Accountant and QuickBooks Online Advanced, you don’t have to edit them one at a time. Use the reclassify tool to save time and make the same change to multiple transactions at once.
This video shows the QuickBooks Online Advanced experience, but is useful for the Accountant experience. Find the specific steps for your account below.
Reclassify and move transactions
First, make sure you know which transactions you want to reclassify. There are a few reports you can use to find this information, like a Profit and Loss report. Once you’ve identified those transactions, use the reclassify tool to move transactions to similar accounts or change their classes.
In QuickBooks Online Accountant:
- Open your client’s QuickBooks Online company.
- Select the Accountant Tools, then Reclassify Transactions.
In QuickBooks Online Advanced:
- Open your QuickBooks Online account.
- Select Settings ⚙, then Reclassify Transactions.
Then, in Reclassify Transactions:
- From the Account types drop-down menu, select Profit and Loss to see income and expense accounts. Or select Balance Sheet to see your asset, liability, and equity accounts.
- From the Account list, select the account with the transactions you want to change.
- Use these type, class, customer/vendor, and modify filters to filter the list. Tip: You can also select Accrual to see all paid and unpaid transactions or Cash to see only paid transactions.
- Select Find Transactions.
- Select the checkbox for each transaction you want to change.
Important: Before you move transactions to Accounts Receivable or Accounts payable, make sure there's a customer or vendor. Don’t leave these fields blank.
- Select Reclassify.
- Select a new account to move the transactions to from the Change account to dropdown, a new class from Change class to dropdown, or a new location from the Change location to dropdown.
- Note: if you don’t see Change location to, you may need to set up locations for your account.
- When you’re ready, select Apply.
Tip: You can also use the reclassify tool for your firm's transactions in QuickBooks Online Accountant. When you're on your firm's page, select Accountant Tools and Reclassify Transactions.