Thank you for coming into the QuickBooks Community and posting for the first time! Applying a payment to a credit memo is quick and simple, use these steps below:
Enter a Credit memo:
1. Select New (+)
2. Select Credit memo or Give credit.
3. Fill out required fields (Customer name, date, products/service items, quantities, and amounts.)
4. Select Save and Close
Apply the credit memo:
1. Select New(+)
2. Select receivepayment or Receive invoice payment
3. Complete these fields as follows:
- Customer Note: Make sure you choose the customer or Project you selected in the invoice.
- Memo (optional)
- Leave the fields Payment Method, Reference Number, Deposit Total and Amount blank
4. Under Credits, select Credit memo or Give Credit.
5. Verify that the total to pay (if any) is correct after applying the Credit Memo
6. Select Save and Close
And that's it. If you'd like, you can set it up so you can apply the credits automatically moving forward. Here are the steps for that should you choose to do so.
Set up to apply credits automatically:
1. Select Settings and then Account and Settings
2. Go to the Advanced tab
3. In the Automation section, select the Edit Icon.
4. Select the Automatically apply credits checkbox
5. Select Save, then Done.
I hope this is able to get you where you need to be, if you need anything else at all, Let me know.