Hello there, @ivtechga.
I can help guide you on how to add the project feature to paid invoices in QuickBooks Online (QBO).
Once you've already set up a project, you'll need to open the existing paid invoices. Then, click the Customer drop-down menu and change it to the Project name. Right after, select Save and Close to apply the changes.
I've attached a screenshot below for your visual reference:
In addition, changing the customer name to project won't erase all line items and the invoice will be added in the project's transaction list.
To learn more about the project feature, you can check this article: Set up and use the Projects feature.
This will get you on the right track. Please know that I'm just a post away if you have any other questions about the projects feature. I'd be happy to answer them for you.
Hi there, @ivtechga.
Thanks for getting back to us. The screenshot that you attached is unviewable. Anyhow, the steps provided by my colleague @JanyRoseB are correct. However, the invoice will disconnect from the attached payment.
If you want to continue the process, you'll need to manually move the payment to the project as well. Please note that this action will zero out the balance and will be marked the transaction as closed in the project. Follow the steps below to reconnect. Here's how:
To move the payment:
1. Go to the Plus (+) icon. Then select Receive Payment.
2. In the Customer drop-down menu, select the name of the customer.
3. Scroll down to the Credits section and select the Unapplied Payment link.
4. Click Yes to the pop-up box that says "Do you want to leave without saving?".
5. Change the customer's name to the Project name.
6. Select Save and Close to apply the changes.
To reconnect the payment link to invoice:
1. Go to the Project tab from the left menu, then choose a project under PROJECT/CUSTOMER.
2. Click the Transaction tab.
3. Look for Payment with Closed status and has $0.00 balance, then click it.
This will open the Receive Payment page. Select the invoice under Outstanding Transactions to link the payment. Then, click Save and Close.
Please note that this applies to an invoice with a single payment only. If you have a lot of links, I'd suggest you continue using the old workaround, and start using projects when you have a new project.
Feel free to post again if you have more questions. We're always ready to back you up.