With QuickBooks Desktop, you can e-file your 1099-MISC form(s) instead of filing manually. After going through the QuickBooks Desktop 1099 Wizard, QuickBooks Desktop will connect to the Tax1099 service and import your contractors and vendor payments applicable to the 1099s.
|Important: Be sure to e-file before January 30, 2020 at 11:00 AM PT so your 1099s can be postmarked to your contractors by January 31, 2020. 1099s can be e-filed through January 31, 2020 to be on time with IRS.|
These are the tasks you need to complete to start using the Tax1099 E-File Service. These steps need to be taken by new users:
Step 1: Complete the QuickBooks Desktop 1099 Wizard.
Before you can file your 1099s with Tax1099, you first need to prepare your 1099s with QuickBooks 1099 Wizard.
To set up or add contractors/vendors in QuickBooks Desktop, refer to Set up a 1099 Independent Contractor/Vendor and print 1099/1096 forms.
Step 2: Create a Tax1099 account
Once you’re done preparing your 1099s, you need to create a Tax1099 account. If you already have a Tax1099 account, you can skip this step.
- On the Tax1099 landing page, select Log in or Sign Up to start with Tax1099.
- Enter the necessary information for sign up.
- Select the Captcha checkbox. Once the set of images appears, select the ones that are relevant then select Verify.
- Select Register or Let's Go!
Step 3: Import your QuickBooks 1099 info
Once you’ve created an account, you need to import all your 1099 info from QuickBooks.
Important: Depending on your computer and network setup, there are different options to import your data into Tax1099. Select Import > QuickBooks Desktop and follow the on-screen wizard to determine which one of the following methods you need in order to upload your data.
After you’ve completed the QuickBooks Desktop 1099 Wizard and created a Tax1099.com account, the wizard in Tax1099 will help you determine how to import your data from QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 1: Import your data into Tax 1099 by using QuickBooks Desktop Web Connector
- Select Web Connector Download to download the .QWC file needed for setup.
- Save the file to your desktop, and give it the same name as your login.
- In QuickBooks, go to File, Update Web Services, and then Add an Application.
- Open the .QWC file you just downloaded.
- On the Authorize New Web Service window, select OK.
- On the Application Certificate screen, select "Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running," and then select Continue.
- In the QuickBooks Web Connector, select Tax1099, enter your Tax1099 password, and then select Update Selected.
- Choose your preference on if you want to save the password.
Method 2: Import your data by using the Tax1099 plugin
If you’re prompted to use these steps, make sure you have Windows 7 or newer and Firefox or Google Chrome for a browser and disabled any antivirus or network firewall.
- Select Download QB Services & Instructions to download the .QWC file needed for setup.
- Unzip QBPlugin.zip file to a folder on your computer and run the Tax1099QBWImport.exe file.
- Close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Navigate to the QBPlugin folder.
- Right-click the Tax1099QBWImport.exe file and choose Run as Administrator.
- Follow the screen instruction to complete the installation.
- Grant access to the Tax1099 plugin.
- Reopen QuickBooks Desktop and run as Admin. You can do this by right-clicking the QuickBooks Desktop icon and selecting Run as administrator.
- Sign in to your company file as an administrator user. An Application Certificate window appears requesting access to your QuickBooks Desktop company file.
- Check the box Allow this application to access personal data such as Social Security Numbers and customer credit card information and select Continue.
- Select Done on the Access Confirmation window.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop. At this point, all users will be able to use the plugin without logging into QuickBooks Desktop as Admin.
- Upload your 1099 data from QuickBooks to Tax1099.com.Note: The data you entered in Boxes 16 & 17 in the QuickBooks Desktop 1099 Wizard will not upload to Tax1099.com. You need to re-enter the data in Tax1099.com before e-filing.
Important: There are additional steps that need to be taken by employers who need to file with their states before proceeding to the next step. For example, employers who do business in Wisconsin or New Jersey or pay contractors living in WI or NJ . Click here to know more.
See if you need to file or if your state requires you to file.
If you decide to print and mail your 1099s for your state:
See How to file 1099s with my state using QuickBooks Desktop on how to be compliant.